Thursday, October 13, 2011

Use Only As Directed

by Cathy

While I was out of town this past weekend enjoying a much needed girls trip, my house came close to burning down. Well, okay I won't be THAT dramatic but...

As I was standing in my newly decorated guest bathroom yesterday, waiting to wipe my five-year old, I happened to notice this:


Surely, when I decided to put this little candle into the alcove of the cubed wall shelf, I thought to myself, "Of course no one would ever think to light this candle while it's still in here. They would think to put it either on top of the shelf or on the basin countertop.' That's just common sense, right?

Right?

Well as you can see, I now have a nice-sized, crackly burn mark on the underside of the shelf, which stands out like a fly in milk.

Oftentimes I wondered how dumb manufacturers thought we, the consumer goods buying public, must be  when I would read some of the instructions that came with a particular food item or product. I would laugh incredulously when I would read, "Remove plastic before cooking pizza" or  "Apply only to affected areas" or "Unwrap all pieces before assembling" or as smoke is billowing out of a cup of coffee, "Caution! Contents Are HOT!" Do people have no common sense?

I'm starting to think not.

I'm starting to think that there's a reason instructions need to be so specific.  So the next time you think your coffeemaker has flatlined, make sure it's plugged in. And as you're waiting for your coffee to brew? Try not to blow dry your hair in the shower.

Thanks for listening as directed.







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips