Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Backstory

by Patti


Have you ever walked by a freak-out in progress? I’m talking about those parenting moments had in parking lots or grocery store aisles or restaurants; the ones you wish would have been had in private, or better yet: not at all.

I have walked by many of those freak-outs (like the lady at Target who, in total Christmas Meltdown Mode, roughly yanked her son by the arm away from the toy aisle and, through gritted teeth, threatened to tell Santa Claus of his awful behavior. Or, how about the lady at Jewel who had a total exorcist moment and shoved her kid down into the grocery cart for what must have been the billionth time while screaming “DAMN IT, STOP IT!”, while her other kid yanked incessantly on her leg), and before I became a parent, I would shake my head in judgment and just know without a doubt that if I was in that situation, I would never be so.... out-of-control.

Ha. Ha. HA. HA HA HA HA HA! Life has a way of showing us, doesn’t it, oh yes, it does.

When S was nearly 3 years old, we were in one of those overwhelming party supply stores, the ones that have aisles and aisles and aisles of overstimulation in the form of confetti! And balloons! And costumes! And glitter! And fluffy sparkly things! I was trying to buy favors for S’s upcoming birthday party, and when I say ‘trying’ I do mean trying. S was so completely hyper-aware of every fun and sparkly and colorful thing in that store, that what should have taken ½ hour tops was now verging on forever. Things really reached a peak when S, in frustration at being forced to STOP TOUCHING EVERYTHING, started THROWING THINGS ACROSS THE STORE to get me back for being so terribly un-fun.  I hastily paid while my demon continued to torpedo Fun! Party! Supplies! across the store, and when I turned to stop her, I was pelted in the face by a plastic bag of bouncy balls. Burning, I yanked her arm and dragged her out of the store. We got to the car, and I grabbed her under the arms and lifted her up in the air  towards the car as she kicked and screamed. I lost it. I shook her – not in that horrible, “brain shake”, kind of way – just in a “STOP IT I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE !” kind of way.  I was just.... SO MAD at her; she had driven me to my every edge of parental sanity.  At that very moment, a man was walking by, and shaking his head at me in disgust, said, “Some people should never be parents.”

The thing is… that man? Had NO IDEA what I had endured all day. He didn’t know that S had been cranky and crying and whining and defiant most of the day. He couldn’t know that she had been a monster in the store, running around, throwing things, challenging me every step of the way. All he knew was that I was out of control, and that my child was crying. And he judged me.

And I used to do the same.

Now? Having walked in the shoes of a mother who has lost control, I imagine the backstory: That poor mother, she is dealing with 3 kids and none of them are listening to her. She has been patient all day, and now she is spent. She tries her best, she really does. She is just tired. Tomorrow she will start fresh.

And that’s all we can do: Start fresh.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips