Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dress to Impress

by Cathy

I knew this particular day was going to be busy: work, offsite meeting, family visit and Bella's volleyball game. I had to plan my outfit for the day accordingly as I always try to do. Something cute but easy. And definitely flats. I decided on a pair of cargo pants and a white V-neck, button-down, knit cardigan. Done.

At the volleyball game I ran into another mom from school I don't get to see very often, as tonight our two school teams were playing against each other. This particular mom is very down-to-earth, very humble and always had been since I met her.

It was warm in that gym as we stood and chatted away and I couldn't help but notice that she was wearing a Columbia fleece jacket over her shirt. As I stood there fanning myself and pushing my sleeves up, I saw the beads of sweat accumulating on her upper lip and her face was reddening. I wondered why she just didn't remove her jacket?

Well, apparently, she got to her breaking point. "I'm just gonna take this off," she said quickly. "I've got my grubby work clothes on under this, but who cares. I'm done dressing to impress the other parents. I was over that long ago." And...boom! She just said in three sentences what all the other mothers wish they could come out and say or do themselves.

You see, the moms at are our school are fashion showey. Super nice personalities, but it seems like there's always this underlying competition of outfits going on. I mean, what stay-at-home-mom comes to pick up her kids with perfectly creased gaberdine slacks, supple leather belt embellished with the Versace logo, Tory Birch flats and a perfectly tailored top with a matching cardigan?  Big designer shades, super sleeked hair in a high pony and an equally embellished Yorkie on a sparkly leash completed her picking-up-the-kids-from-school look.

Therefore, I immediately knew where this mom's exasperated confession was coming from. And yes - her hair was disheveled, her clothes were frumpy and she had not a lick of makeup on. But I found out she's a teacher. She sends her three kids off to school everyday and goes on to partake in an even more chaotic environment by teaching kindergarteners and first graders all day long.
"I'm on the floor most of the day with the kids" she offered, looking down at her clothes.
"Oh please. You don't have to explain to me," I replied. "I just give you credit for wanting to be with yet more kids other than your own on a daily basis."
She laughed.

As I looked around, I spotted a woman in skinny jeans, heels and a sheer top layered over lace (remember, we are at a kids volleyball game in a grammar school gym), and a woman in the fanciest, flounciest tennis skirt I've ever seen. We get it. You work out. Your legs are toned. You look like a Hamptons Hooker. The refs are gawking. Can you change into something more school-appropriate?

It's great to dress up, to look and feel put together and give off an impression as such. All women should strive for some version of that that works for themselves. But it's also important to be true to who you are. And if that means you are dressed like a Frumpalina on a daily basis, well, then so be it.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips