Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Spam

by Patti 

Last night I spent over an hour going through marketing emails that I never asked to receive, unsubscribing myself from all of them.  Want a sample? Let’s see…. InStyle, Daily Makeover, Groupon, 10(!) different real estate agents, LinkedIn, American Airlines, PetSmart, Apple, Trulia, 4 different Crains newsletters, some random energy company, an email from an 'As Seen on TV' company, Social Security(???), RISMedia, Us Weekly, Small Business Chicago…(PAUSING TO TAKE A BREATH)… Genie Bra (What? Did S – who is currently obsessed with bras – sign me up?), Chicago Business, Printable Coupons, Hotels.com, Carnival Cruises, Borne Company, Bally Total Fitness, Brain Bench, Barak Obama, Plato's Closet, Chicago Association of Realtors, Fresnobee, Orchard Bank, Rebecca – offering me a ‘Credit Card Bailout!’, Suzanne – offering me a ‘Mortgage Bailout!’ (Interestingly, NOBODY OFFERED ME A SPAM BAILOUT!)… But wait! There’s more! I just won’t ‘Spam’ you with the details.

During the process of unsubscribing, some of the ‘unsubscribe’ pop-ups were actually angry about it. One even exclaimed, “You jerk!” Another tried to play it cool and simply said, “See ya!”  Others were more melancholy about our parting, saying, “We will miss you”, or “We are sad to see you go.” 

But the kicker was the one who simply refused to believe I wanted to break up with it. “Are you sure?” it asked me. I clicked the “YES”(I am SURE!) box and submitted it. Another box popped up, “Please tell us why…” and I actually had to type out my reason for ending our totally one-sided relationship. Do you know how awkward that is? Once I submitted that, yet another box popped up, “We will send you an email shortly to confirm your decision. You are still subscribed until you click on the confirmation email.” I waited for the email. It never came. It still hasn’t come.

I have the feeling I will be seeing another marketing message from this company again. I’m sure it will just use the excuse that I never confirmed my break-up with it.  I am being Fatal Attractioned by Spam.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips