Monday, October 31, 2011

Gotta hand it to her....

by Patti
 

Last year, S wanted to be a thumb for a Halloween. Yes, a THUMB. Instead, because… THUMB?...she was a spider. And it was adorable.

This year she decided she wanted to be a weather map, which would have been really cool if her MOTHER had gotten her act together and figured out a way to make a weather map. Halloween nearing closer and closer, S dropped the weather map idea and decided to go all out as a hobo. A hobo cannot get more classic in terms of Halloween costumes. I mean, who wasn’t a hobo in the 70’s? I sure was. So easy! Wear some clothes that are too big, rat out the hair, blacken a tooth, carry a stick: Instant hobo!

But a mere few days before Halloween, a co-worker overhead me telling another co-worker how S had wanted to be a thumb, or a weather map, and how she’d had to take it down a few notches to hobo thanks to her MOTHER. That co-worker piped in that her daughter had once been a hand for Halloween – not just a thumb, a whole entire hand - and that she said she was pretty certain she still had the costume stored away somewhere. I didn’t say anything to S in the case that hand was long gone, but the next day, my co-worker walked in with a huge foam hand, complete with jewelry and hot pink nails. Oh, how the kid would flip.

I took the hand home and when S saw it, flip she did. She immediately stripped out of her school clothes and in one second flat became a giant walking hand with a finger-to-finger grin.

I remember her first Halloween when I picked up a tiny black cat suit on clearance days before Halloween (because I will never change). She was just so moldable back then. But now? She has her own ideas and opinions and ways of expressing who she is. And this is why I love my kid. She could be a princess or a gypsy or a witch; instead, she wants to be a thumb, or a weather map, or even a whole, entire hand, and she isn’t afraid to be different. 

Next year she wants to be a picnic. I was a picnic many, many, many Halloweens ago, and the fact that she wants to perpetuate such a preposterity is just the coolest thing ever. Life with that kid? Is a picnic.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips