Tuesday, July 26, 2011

(Super) Women

by Patti

It’s a thing, I know this. A man gets sick and the universe collapses all around him. Cars screech to a halt, trees stop swaying, babies stop crying, dogs stop peeing, their collective legs frozen mid-air, the EARTH STOPS SPINNING. Stop the freakin’ presses everybody, he’s got a cold! And while we are left standing there, blinking, wondering what happened, the man dramatically sneezes into the silence and retreats to his bed.

We, on the other hand? Will eventually come down with this cold. And when we do? Retreat to the bed, my ass. We will most certainly still have to make sure dinneriscooked, thehomeworkisdone, the laundryisfolded, the playdatesareplayed, the kidsaretuckedin, the dishesaredone, all while trying to breathe, stifling a sneeze, and catching a wheeze.

WHY IS THIS?

I hate to be all stereotypical 1992 Mars vs Venus about this, it does seem so trite, this observation, but from my informal completely and totally official survey of all my girlfriends, female co-workers and that random lady at Walgreens, the trite seems to be TRUE in this case.

How is it that we can multi-task not only family/friends/job, but even our health? Simple: We are built for speed, bitches. And that is our downfall.

I say we stop being able to do it all and just don’t do it at all.

In fact, right this very moment I feel a strange twinge between my eyes and a threatening little itch in my throat. I think I may be getting sick!

Oh wait. I can’t. S is having a sleepover tonite, which means the making of snacks and building of forts and general ensuring of survival.

Maybe tomorrow.





1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of that episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" when his wife 'shockingly' discovered that Ray was PURPOSELY screwing up his assigned duties in the house, just so he can get out of doing the little itty bitty chores he was given to begin with. Hmfph...
    -C

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips