Monday, August 22, 2011

Letting Go


by Patti

This morning I officially became the mother of a FIFTH GRADER.

Do you know what this means? It means I have one school year left with a little girl, and then she will be in JUNIOR HIGH and the world will end.

How can it be that just a second ago she was this blinking, curious little creature fresh out of my womb, all smooshy and wrinkled and new,and now, she’s this long-legged KID begging for a bra and rolling her eyes at me?

This weekend I was helping my mom clean out some old files, and I found a dusty cassette tape. (Remember those? The 8-track’s futuristic replacement and now totally obsolete?) On my way home, I popped it into my player and suddenly a little munchkin voice filled my car. It was a 5-year old S, singing silly songs and saying prayers for her runaway cat, Sally. My face was immediately swallowed up by the hugest smile, and I felt the sunshine of the little girl S fill my whole body.

When I got home, I made S come into the car with me and listen to the tape. When she heard herself, she too broke out in a huge grin and gushed over that little girl. “I was so cute, mommy!” We listened to the entire tape, and when it ended, S sighed heavily and said, “I miss myself…”

She looked a little sad at not being a baby anymore, and it made me realize that life seems to always be about letting go of something. For mothers, it is letting go of babyhood and those precious milestones that come along with it. For kids it is letting go of childhood and its magic. For all of us it is letting go of friendships, letting go of jobs, letting go of homes, letting go of places, letting go of youth… It just seems we are always letting go of something.

But then this morning, as I saw my now fifth-grader onto the school bus, her new backpack weighed down with shiny new markers and folders and clean notebooks, I realized that we have to let go to make room for all that is yet to come.

S is not a baby anymore; in fact, she is hardly even a little girl anymore. But the future is wide open, and I can’t wait to watch her fill it up.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips