Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Highway 40s

So yesterday, I celebrated my 41st birthday.
I am officially cruising down Highway 40s.

I was completely overwhelmed and blown away by all the birthday wishes received from friends, family, acquaintances, my kids and via social networking sites. I truly felt blessed at the support system I am lucky enough to have.

Of course remarks ranged from the pick-me-uppers ("Forties are the new thirties!") and the obligatory knocks to the gut ("Welcome to the Cougar Club!") but overall, it was a no-frills, easy day spent with my kids at a local water park. Couldn't ask for more.

As I look back at this last year, the year I was 40, I was so proud of all I had accomplished and overcome. From the small (floating on my back and swimming underwater with my eyes open) to the big (work-related television appearances) I felt very content with my milestones. Of course, like a true Leo, I am looking to do some soul-searching and set the bar higher for this year. But in doing so, I wanted to share some insights I've made throughout this process. None of these are breakthrough musings by any means, but I've learned that they really do need to be applied to live a fulfilled life:

- I will always be older; I will never be younger. More importantly, I will never be this age again. Enjoy the time you are experiencing now.

- I AM young, compared to next year.

- There will always be someone older than me (which makes me young) and someone younger than me (which makes me old). Age will only be just a NUMBER.

- You lose yourself in living life; you lose yourself through marriage and your spouse, your kids, your job, the burden of responsibilities, your lack of time to be with yourself. All of these extenuating relationships change who you once were. Make it a point to find that person again - your hopes, your dreams, your beliefs, your zest for life, your goals (little or big), your old self. Try to get to that time, place and mindframe again.

- Ultimately, you must do things and live your life for yourself - never for anyone else. They may hate you at the moment for their own selfish reasons but you will always hate yourself for not doing what you should have - what your gut was telling you to do - and it's never a healthy thing to live with regret. Everyone else will get over it.

- Always surround yourself with people of all ages - from young and spirited to old and wise. Be their friends. Listen to their stories. Let them take you in to their world; it will change the way you see the world.

- If you put it in your head that you are old, you will beome old. Think young, be young and never quit experiencing life.

- I think about turning 41 and say, "I am only two years past my thirties!" and as I look at my kids, I think "They are still little. My youngest one is only starting kindergarten this year!" It's all in how you look at things. Find the positive and focus on that.

- Find your will and find your way. No one else will find it or do it for you.

- Never let anyone quash your spirit. It's what keeps you going. It's what keeps you young.

- Laugh at everything. Laugh it off. Laugh at yourself most importantly.

-Cathy




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips