Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Light vs. Dark

by Cathy

I've known Patti for six years now and we joke that we have come to lead parallel lives.

We've marveled at how similarly certain situations or events in our separate families have been - from the insignificant (hey! we're both kid-free and have money to spend; let's go shopping!) to the once-in-a-lifetime coincidence (both of our husbands separately take our kids on vacation, during the exact week of the exact month in the exact year). If I had known her in high school, our monthly cycles would no doubt have been in sync.

Except for yesterday when the lines of our parallel lives got twisted.

Patti wrote a heart-tugging post about the one-year anniversary of the death of her father.  As she was grieving (and I along with her) for her dear, sweet father, I was anxiously awaiting my parents' return that same night from their annual trip to Greece, after being gone for exactly three months and one week.

You must know that I have always lived in the same city as my parents. I didn't go away to college. I lived with them until I got married at the age of 26. This is how they raised me.  I never questioned it or ever even contemplated moving out. We have always been a close-knit family; this is just the Greek way.

I was abuzz with happy anticipation in awaiting their arrival. But at the same time, I felt for my dear friend.  How selfish was it of me to feel so happy about seeing my parents while my friend was grappling with the fact that she'll never see her dad again. How could I?? Internally, I felt very pulled apart and was an emotional wreck for most of the day.

I couldn't help but reflect that the Gods were experiencing this conflict right along with me, as I noticed that even the skies were seemingly torn. I snapped this picture because I felt the sky was mirroring my emotions and that of my friend - separately but still together. I had never seen such a distinction in the sky of light and dark, of hope and gloom; the sun was out but it was still raining. I felt that this picture exactly captures the gamut of emotions we each experienced throughout the day.


And how fitting it all seemed.
Just like the weather eventually cleared and light overcame darkness, Patti, being the ever supportive friend she is, in the midst of her emotional day, followed suit. "Learn from my experience and appreciate your parents while they're still here. It's so important in the big landscape of things." And she finished with, "Go hug your papa tonight."

And last night, I hugged him and my mother the hardest and longest I've ever hugged them. And I NEVER want to let go.

Thank you my dear, sweet friend.




1 comment:

  1. You are the dear, sweet friend, Cathy, and Patti is very lucky to know you. Thanks for sharing your story and the very poetic photograph. We should all be reminded to appreciate our parents more. I'll be sure to tell my mom and dad how much I do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips