Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Labor of Love

by Patti


S was really pissed at me this morning.

I threatened to put her hamster, Gus, on Craigslist, and this did not go over well. But let's be real: The last time she played with him was 2 days ago.

Last night before I went to bed, I opened his cage and he scuttled to the door. He touched my hand with his little pointy, wet nose, and I picked him up and cuddled with him. Okay, not WITH him, because I would assume that cuddling WITH someone/something would mean that that someone/something is cuddling back. Hamsters don’t cuddle back. They just shake their whiskers and pee on you. So I cuddled AT him? Whatever. WE CUDDLED.

And then I let him run around in his little see-through exercise ball while I washed my face and got my pajamas on. When I put him back in his cage, I hand fed him some sunflower seeds and fruit, and then he thanked me and scampered off to his exercise wheel.

This morning I woke up mad.

After my Craigslist threat, I explained to S that Gus is a living thing that relies on her; she can’t just forget about him because a new episode of Victorious! is on. She swore up and down that she would take care of him better; that OMG SHE LOVES GUS AND IF YOU GIVE HIM AWAY I WILL BE REALLY MAD, MOM!

I love S. Which is why I don’t leave her alone in the basement for days in a pile of pee-soaked fluff. I play with her, I engage with her, I talk to her. I also feed her, shuttle her around, pick up her dirty, balled-up socks, help her with her homework, and put up with her moods. Yes, Gus is a hamster - a furry, smelly, twitchy rodent – but just like S needs me, he needs her. And she chose him to need her. S needs to learn that love is not always fun; there is also work involved. A lot of work. Hell-to-the-yes I know this much, and one of the biggest gifts I can give her for her future is to make her understand this.

When S was a baby, I used to complain about sleep deprivation and the endless, mindless, Groundhog Day work that taking care of a baby entails. I was wrong. Though S sleeps in and can dress herself and make her own breakfast, and she hasn’t needed diapers in years, the truth is? The real work begins now.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips