Friday, September 9, 2011

Angel

by Patti


A boy in my daughter’s class died.

It was Monday, Labor Day.

He was just at school on Friday. He enjoyed the weekend with his family.

And then he didn’t feel right.

Something in his head exploded.

And he died.

Just like that.

When I heard the news, my heart immediately went out to the mother, because as a mother myself, she is the first person I thought of. I couldn’t imagine her pain; didn’t want to. But then I could. Because of course, having a child – a child the same age - I put myself in her shoes for a moment, and then selfishly took myself right out and thanked God.

What happened to that boy, to that family, it is what happens to other people; not us.

But that family, they felt the same way.

And it happened.

We feel safe because we need to feel safe to survive; to enjoy life.

But we never are truly safe.

So fragile, we are. All of us.

We can go without a moment’s notice.

Our children can be taken from us just like that.

And so, it is the shittiest of times like this that solemnly remind us to pay attention. Don’t forget. Say it. Mean it. Do it. All of it.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips