Friday, April 20, 2012

Forever 21

 by Cathy


“Youth is wasted on the young.” – George Bernard Shaw 

Patti’s birthday was this past Sunday.

Although I was keenly aware of it, it quietly went uncelebrated this year – without nary a balloon to be popped, a piece of cake to be relished or a glass of bubbly to be sipped. Why, you ask? How can a friend just let another friend’s birthday slide by with just a facebook wall post and a quick ‘Happy birthday, girl!’ thrown into a hectic phone conversation?

I know, I know. 

I am her other blog half and self-proclaimed female spouse. (As the enlightened Oprah had professed on her show, women need wives.) I should have done something more. However, in my defense, I couldn’t do a hair’s-width more to celebrate my dear friend’s birthday - even if I tried.

Patti’s birthday falls on national tax day – April 15th. But this year, the looming tax deadline wasn’t the issue (not that it was an issue on any other year, but it's a stressful, deadline-induced hell of a date). This year, her birthday fell on my Easter Sunday. And because of that, although she completely understood the hectic craziness that went along with what that entailed, I didn’t want her to assume that her birthday went unnoticed or worse yet, unrecognized.

We tried in vain to plan a Saturday night out for the celebratory birthday party, but between Easter, bachelorette parties, gigs, dinner plans, errands and everyday obligations, we were now looking at a Saturday night in June. How could it be that we are as booked as Obama? In my book, you don’t officially tack that extra year onto your age until you celebrate it with your friends. Now, it seems as if Patti would remain forever…21. 

And for those of you who know Patti, (and aside from the fact that she does frequent the namesake store on occasion), how truly fitting IS this? She is the quintessential 21-year old but with the maturity and wisdom that girls that age could only hope for. Her humor, style, personality, attitude and zest for life all resonate with the youthful characteristics of a 21-year old. She loves laughing, making people laugh, music, singing, dancing, eating, cocktails just because, and just plain being and having fun. What’s more? All of these mood-boosting traits effortlessly rub off on her friends and even onto fleeting strangers who have the good fortune to cross paths with her. For all these amazing twenty-something characteristics and so many more for me to get into in one, solitary blogpost, I love my forty-something friend.

So…regardless of when we celebrate her birthday, it won’t matter. Because even though her birthday has come and gone, celebrated or not, she will always remain forever 21.


Cheers to you, beeyotch and happy birthday!!

P.S. I love you enough to post this crappy pic of myself, but as usual, you are rockin' it. It's a damn, foolish shame that youth in fact belongs to the young, but it will always belong to the young at heart. Stay forever young, my friend. xoxoxo




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips