Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Word to Your Grandmother

by Cathy

After picking up the girls from his parents' house one evening last week, my husband briskly walked into the living room with his coat still on, and asked: "Did you request for me to pick up some milk?"

"Ummmm...nooo," I said, my eyes still glued to Grey's Anatomy. "That was random. I didn't text you or anything."

"My dad said you texted him and asked him to ask me to bring home milk."

"What? Why on earth would I text your dad? He doesn't ever carry his cell phone. That thing still works?"

He shot me a look and headed into the kitchen to promptly call his dad and get to the bottom of this mystery text. I could hear him clear across the house.

"Dad, Cathy said she didn't text you. Can you check your phone again?" [pause]
"Check to make sure it was from Cathy. Just click on the text itself. Click. [pause] What time did she send it?"
[pause]
"Are you sure?" he chuckles. "Dad. Dad? Check the date. When was it sent?"
[pause]
"Just click it and it should tell you," he said.
[loooooong pause]

Suddenly, Joe's hearty laugh boomed through the house; a continuous cacophony of high-pitched howls and throaty, breathless gasps. I walk in to see him wiping tears of laughter from his eyes before he hung up. He took one deep, focused breath, looked me straight in the eyes and blurted out, "Turns out that text was from two years ago," he emphasized. 

"Bwahahahaha!!" We both busted out in hysterical laughter. And right there in our kitchen that night, we sealed our karmic fate in that this, will in fact, happen to us one day.

Could this be my future grandkid?
It's true our parents' and grandparents' generations didn't grow up in the technologically booming era we did. Therefore, they had to make the effort to acquaint themselves with computers, smartphones, even regular, plain 'ol flip cell phones. Their fingers aren't as adept as ours, their motor skills not as fluid and their reflexes not as quick. It takes them a little longer to get the hang of "this stuff". And those are the brave ones; the rest are too intimidated or feel too far behind to even attempt a try.

I give props to them there elders that try to keep up. I wonder if I will have the patience and wherewithal to keep up with the leaping advances of technology when I am their age. And if not, I know the younger generations will be waiting to pounce on our lack of technological knowledge, ready to "Bwahahahaha!!"away at our expense.

Oh...wait. My kids already do that.






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips