Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Bill Bend Over

by Patti

Do you know that last night I saved $140? I did it by actually looking at my cell phone bill. Normally, I just get nauseous and pay my bill online, never questioning the outrageous amount that is being demanded of me month after month. I just figured it was the price I had to pay for unlimited texting and my frivolous daily visits to celebitchy.com.  Turns out? When you actually look at your bill, you find all kinds of crazy that don't come cheap.

Seeing $40 in charges I didn't understand, I called my provider and pressed the millions of buttons to get connected to somebody in India. "Good evening, Patricia - what a lovely name - how may I help you tonight?" Cut the niceties, lady. First of all, ain't nothing "lovely" about Patricia (no offense if you are a Patricia. After all, I am a Patricia. I mean, it's not a horrible name, but lovely?). More importantly: why is there a $40 charge on my bill I don't understand?

After one hour - ONE HOUR - on the phone - which included a good 30 minutes of holding while jamming to the strains of the pan flute version of "My Girl",  and then being cut off only to surprisingly have the Polite Lady in India actually calling me back - I was finally credited $140 to my account for charges that had been happening for months. Not only that, but my new monthly bills will be much cheaper, which rocks ten ways to Sunday because, as the Polite Lady in India pointed out ever-so-politely, "every penny counts, Patreesha!"

Now? I am addicted to the idea of looking through my bills. I could probably finally get the granite counter tops I long for, or even refinish my basement with all the money I will save by combing through my bills. I mean, think about it: what if I hadn't looked at my cell phone bill? Would I simply continue to pay an extra $40 a month? An extra $40 that could go towards the straightening of my kid's crooked teeth or the filling up of my fridge? Yes, yes I would have.

Do yourselves a favor people of the universe: Really look at your bills. Don't just get nauseous and dumbly pay them like I have been doing for, like, EVER. Unlike me, be smart - do your research, make those calls, and guess what? You can actually avoid looking like this every time you pay a bill:

"Patreesha" in all her glory




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips