Thursday, August 30, 2012

Ode to August

by Cathy

My love for the month of August is undying; so much so, that I have written August a letter. This originally ran last summer and nothing has changed except for the fact that this year, we don't yet feel the autumn chill in the air, but are still blessed to feel August's warmth linger...hopefully, well into that next month. Enjoy.

  
August, my love.

All year I waited with delight and disdain for your arrival.
You are at once the pinnacle of summer and the seedling of winter's onset.

Thoughts of you are equated to hot summer days at beaches and lakes, steamy summer nights that lead into watching the sunrise, lemonade stands and long-awaited holidays taken 'round the world.

Your carefree nature is like a flash of light in the night. You are a fleeting reprieve that is gone way too quickly.


I will relish the luxury of the sleep you allow and the stress you forbid before the mayhem of the school season begins.

I will yearn for the mystical allure of your full moon, for which countless songs and poems have been written, with its majestic pull that brings young lovers together and draws all of the ocean's creatures closer to the surface of the still waters of seas and oceans, just to witness it.

Your last few days are already laced with a hint of fall. There's a nip in the early morning air and a chill in the evening breeze that wasn't there when you first arrived. By some, the occasional sweater has already been released from their closets, ready to wave you off into bitter abandonment.

I can feel it in the air, August. You are leaving me. No sooner had you swept me into the throes of summer, you are now leaving me to autumn's surrender.

I will miss you August, the yellow month in which I was brought into this world, with your young spirit and blazing sun that warms my skin to the bone. And it will be a long winter's night before I breathe you in again. Stay safe on the other side of the world where you will travel.

Until we meet again.

-Cathy




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips