Thursday, December 1, 2011

The 9pm Nap

by Cathy

Nine o'clock is usually when I have my girls in bed these days - well, Ari at least. Bella still thinks it's too early for bed. Naturally, I have to lay with Ari on her bed (or at least sit there with her) until she falls asleep. (For the record, we are slowly working on breaking this habit with her. And by 'we' I mean ME. I am the one who usually ends up having to lay with her to fall asleep.) The only problem is that I end up on the brink of sleep myself.

I desperately try to refrain from falling asleep by sitting up on her bed. But occasionally, she asks me to lay next to her and squeeze-hug her. For this, I happily oblige; there's nothing like taking in the sweet smell of your child's neck as they fall asleep. Before I know it, however, I have drifted off right along with them. Despite my best efforts to stay awake! so I can accomplish the list of things that are already accumulating in my head, sleep sometimes takes over my body and brain.

Some time later, I startle awake and it takes me a good minute to figure out where I am. Once that's established, I purposely try to walk to my bedroom with my eyes closed, so that I can keep the momentum of sleep going. Don't wake up...don't wake up...

I realize I have to get my pajamas on. There are people who can sleep in their clothes. I'm not one of them. Don't wake up... Then I realize I have to pee. Don't wake up... Then I realize I didn't brush my teeth. Don't wake up... Then I realize I have to check to make sure doors and windows are locked. Don't wake up... Then I realize I forgot to defrost the chicken for tomorrow's dinner. Digging around in the freezer, I'm starting to wake up... Then I realize I forgot to put the washed clothes in the dryer. I'm slowly reaching full on awake mode... Then I realize I haven't removed my makeup. By the time I splash on water to wash off the apricot foaming gel, I'M UP.

By now it's well past 11pm and I am fully awake.

I could make tomorrow's lunches for the kids! I could go through my stack of work papers/coupons/catalogs/bills/kids drawings/recipes! I could clean out my purse! I could catch up on watching DVR'd shows I don't get a chance to watch during non-vampire hours! I could catch up with Facebook! Twitter! LinkedIn! The world is my oyster!

And tomorrow morning, the alarm clock is my worst enemy.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips