Monday, December 31, 2012

Every Breath You Take, I'll Be Feeding You

by Cathy

This holiday season, while most of you will be feasting on more food than you've probably had all year, just know that I will be a happy little elf. As you lament your weight gain and make concrete plans to visit gyms and health clubs, I will be relieved. Relieved...that you have eaten!

A few weekends ago, my daughters participated in their annual ballet performance of The Nutcracker. Months of practicing dwindled down to two major performances which came together quite nicely.

But little was I prepared for the six-hour tech rehearsal on the Friday night before the shows. SIX. HOURS. My kids would turn into otherworldly beasts.

Those of you who know me (or are Greek) know that I/we have an obsession with making sure our loved ones are fed. Apparently this is not only cultural but also inherited. Therefore, it would be fitting that I went into panic mode once I calculated that my kids would have a half-hour to eat after school, before they went to the six hour rehearsal-a-thon. I couldn't take the stress. "Six hours?! Oh my God I gotta roast a lamb for these kids!" I confided to Patti. She laughed it off but it wasn't so funny when we got there and saw another girl chowing down on a double entree of Chinese fried rice and chicken. See? I'm not the only one who stresses about their kids eating!

That night of the rehearsal and each day throughout both performances, I thought my kids would literally starve and pass out/throw a hunger tantrum/be unable to perform. Every. single. chance. I got, I would corner them.

"Did you eat?"
"EAT!"
"Do you want some carrots?"
"Where's your water?"
"Don't let everyone else eat your food, YOU need it!"
"EAT!"
"Where's your snack bag?"
"Here eat some of these."
"Have you eaten anything I packed you?"
"You haven't eaten a thing!"
"Have some pretzels!"
"What do you mean you don't want your sandwich!?! It's the only food you have!"
"Don't eat the chocolatey stuff now. Eat your food first and THEN have dessert!"
"Are you done? Have some more. You didn't eat enough!"

On and on this went as my friends sideways glanced and smirked at my Greekness. Meanwhile, they themselves were starving, texting husbands to drop off Subway sandwiches, making plans to go grab a bite before they too, turned into tantrum-throwing monsters. Of course, with all the backstage hullabaloo, they were unable to get away, but luckily? Luckily, being always over-prepared when it comes to having food on hand (you should see the trunk of my car), I had a Costco-sized bag of Chex Mix in my carry-on of a purse.

And I fed my people. And it was good.

So this holiday season and throughout all of 2013, I wish you the comforts of a full belly, the peace and tranquility of the still ocean, the happiness and wonderment of small children and most of all, health to enjoy it all.

Happy New Year!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips