Thursday, June 2, 2011

Oh, Mother

by Patti

I grew up surrounded by accents.

I married an accent.

And Spanish still flies around me almost daily.

One day, I was lamenting to my mom how I feel like nobody in my family gets my humor. Spanish humor tends to be slapsticky and on the naughty side, at least the Spanish I grew up with and the Spanish I married, and I am a sucker for anything wry or dry.

My mom, always trying to "understand" her only daughter, said, "Das not true! Gib me an eh-sample!"

"Well..." I said, my mind reaching for the countless times my sides ached at the Woody Allen-ness of it all, "..for example, I love sarcasm!"

My mom put her hand on her chin and twisted her mouth in thought. "Hmmm," she said,clearly disappointed that she couldn't be more helpful, "I don't know that comedian."




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Tips